Department of Computer Science
School of Informatics
London EC1V OHB
tel: +44 20 7040 8342
fax: +44 20 7040 0244
I am a member of the Programming Languages and Systems group.
See this page on the School intranet for my drop-in hours.
My research focusses on programming and programming languages, especially functional programming. I'm interested in functional programming techniques, embedded domain-specific languages based on various notions of computation, program transformations and persistent data structures.
Selected recent publications
- Ross Paterson, "Constructing Applicative Functors", in Mathematics of Program Construction, Madrid, 2012, Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 7342, pp. 300-323, Springer, 2012.
- Jean-Philippe Bernardy, Patrik Jansson and Ross Paterson, "Proofs for Free - Parametricity for Dependent Types", in Journal of Functional Programming, vol. 22(2), pp. 107-152, 2012.
- Jean-Philippe Bernardy, Patrik Jansson and Ross Paterson, "Parametricity and Dependent Types", in International Conference on Functional Programming, Baltimore, ACM Press, pp. 345-356, 2010.
- Conor McBride and Ross Paterson, "Applicative Programming with Effects", Journal of Functional Programming, vol. 18(1), pp. 1-13, 2008.
- Ralf Hinze and Ross Paterson, "Finger Trees: A Simple General-purpose Data Structure", Journal of Functional Programming, vol. 16(2), pp. 197-217, 2006.
- Ross Paterson, "Arrows and Computation", in The Fun of Programming, (Jeremy Gibbons and Oege deMoor, Ed.), pp. 201-222, Palgrave, 2003.
- Ross Paterson, "A New Notation for Arrows", in International Conference on Functional Programming, (Xavier Leroy, Ed.), pp. 229-240, ACM Press, Firenze, Italy, 2001.
(see Publications for more)